TEL: (973) 239-5700 | FAX: (973) 239-3400 | email@example.com PDF | VCARD
Mr. Scrivo is a Managing Partner of the Firm. He is an experienced trial lawyer and a trusted advisor to clients in the public and private sector. In 2016 and 2017, Mr. Scrivo was listed as No. 16 in the NJBIZ Power 100: the 100 most powerful people in New Jersey and No. 15 (2016) and No. 35 (2017) in the PolitickerNJ Power List. Mr. Scrivo is certified by the New Jersey Supreme Court as a Civil Trial Attorney and in 2015 was listed as one of New Jersey’s Top 100 Lawyers in Super Lawyers®, a Thomson Reuters business. From 2005 through 2015, Mr. Scrivo has been listed in Super Lawyers® in the areas of Business Litigation and State, Local & Municipal. (No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court.)
Mr. Scrivo most recently served as Chief Counsel to Governor Chris Christie. As Chief Counsel, Mr. Scrivo was responsible for leading the Governor's legislative initiatives, supervising gubernatorial appointments, and overseeing New Jersey’s Executive Branch, including all state departments and authorities.
In March 2017, Governor Chris Christie appointed Mr. Scrivo to serve as Chairman of the New Jersey Economic Development Authority, an independent state agency that provides financing and tax incentives to New Jersey businesses to retain and grow jobs and revitalize communities through redevelopment initiatives.
Prior to joining the Governor’s Office, Mr. Scrivo spent over 20 years in the private sector as a trial attorney. Mr. Scrivo was the Managing Partner of the Newark Office of an Am Law 200 firm and Co-Chair of that firm’s Commercial Litigation Practice. He has extensive experience in a diverse range of practice areas, including complex commercial and business litigation, labor and employment law, local government and redevelopment law, construction litigation, healthcare law, estates and trusts litigation, professional liability litigation, patent, copyright, trademark infringement and anti-trust litigation, toxic tort and product liability litigation, class actions, and securities litigation. He regularly appears before the state and federal trial and appellate courts and arbitration tribunals throughout New Jersey. He has argued before the New Jersey Supreme Court on several occasions.
Mr. Scrivo represents employers’ interests in employment discrimination claims involving race, sex, religion, age, handicap or sexual orientation. He regularly handles cases involving wrongful discharge, retaliation, breach of contract, whistleblowing, and related claims. He has litigated many cases involving the enforcement of restrictive covenants in employment agreements. He provides counseling to clients on all aspects of the employment relationship, including general employment advice and counseling, preparing employee manuals and handbooks, and conducting internal investigations. He also conducts management and employee training. Mr. Scrivo has a traditional labor practice in the public and private sectors, representing management as principal spokesperson and as counsel to principal negotiators.
Mr. Scrivo has served as the municipal attorney to several New Jersey municipalities and as special counsel to governmental agencies in a wide array of litigated matters, including real estate tax appeals, labor and employment, construction litigation, civil rights litigation, public bidding and contracts, and redevelopment law. He is also the author of the New Jersey Local Government Deskbook, a leading governmental treatise covering a wide variety of topics, including ethics for public officials.
Mr. Scrivo is a past President of the Essex County Bar Association and former Trustee of the New Jersey State Bar Association. He served as Chair of the Essex County Bar Association’s WTC Disaster Relief Task Force and supervised the training of more than 250 attorneys to provide free legal services to families and victims of the 9/11 attacks. He is also a member of the American Bar Association, the Association of the Federal Bar of the State of New Jersey, and the Trial Attorneys of New Jersey. He has served as a member of the New Jersey Supreme Court’s District V-B Ethics Committee. A frequent lecturer, he has spoken on dozens of occasions at legal seminars on a variety of topics, including attorney ethics. Mr. Scrivo was appointed by Chief Justice Stuart Rabner as Vice-Chair of the Supreme Court of New Jersey’s Working Group on Ethical Issues Involving Metadata in Electronic Documents. Mr. Scrivo has previously been named one of New Jersey’s “Top 40 Lawyers under 40” by the New Jersey Law Journal. He was also the recipient of the Young Alumni Achievement Award by the Peter W. Rodino, Jr. Law Society at Seton Hall University School of Law. He served on the Essex County College Board of Trustees for fifteen years. In 2014, Mr. Scrivo served as Chair of the Essex County Heart Walk, which raised more than $500,000 for the American Heart Association. In 2017, Mr. Scrivo was elected as a Life Fellow by the American Bar Foundation. Membership in the Fellows is limited to one percent of lawyers licensed to practice in each jurisdiction.
- Successfully represented real estate brokerage firm against national mortgage bank in an eleven-day arbitration involving claims for breach of contract and breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing. (American Arbitration Association, New Jersey)
- Represented employee-recruiting firm against former employee for enforcement of restrictive covenant. Obtained permanent injunction. (Superior Court of New Jersey, Morris County, Chancery Division, General Equity Part)
- Obtained preliminary injunction on behalf of multiple listing service with more than 2000 members against competing multiple listing service and four real estate brokerage firms for violation of the New Jersey Anti-trust laws and breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing. (Superior Court of New Jersey, Bergen County, Chancery Division, General Equity Part)
- Represented former owner of advertising agency against national ad agency in eleven-day bench trial involving claims of breach of asset purchase agreement and breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing. (Superior Court of New Jersey, Somerset County, Law Division)
- Represented candidates for New Jersey State Senate and General Assembly in action to require County Clerk to re-draw ballot positions. (Superior Court of New Jersey, Appellate Division, on appeal from Bergen County, Law Division)
- Successfully represented contractor for alleged failure to pay prevailing wages in multi-day administrative law trial. (New Jersey Office of Administrative Law)
- Numerous other trials and arbitrations involving business disputes, enforcement of restrictive covenants, and non-competition and non-solicitation clauses in executive employment agreements.
- Obtained preliminary injunction on behalf of Board of Realtors comprised of approximately 1000 members against competing Board of Realtors and real estate brokerage firms for violation of the New Jersey Anti-trust laws. (Superior Court of New Jersey, Ocean County, Law Division)
- Represented partner against national accounting firm in eight-day arbitration hearing involving partnership dispute. (American Arbitration Association, New York, New York)
- Successfully represented owner against general contractor in arbitration involving claims of construction defects arising out of construction of warehouse. (American Arbitration Association, New Jersey)
- Lead counsel in ten-day jury trial in employment case involving claims of sexual harassment. (Supreme Court of New York, New York County)
- Co-lead counsel for Fortune 50 pharmaceutical company in four-week jury trial defending whistleblower claim, resulting in dismissal of all claims. (Superior Court of New Jersey, Mercer County, Law Division)
- Represented minority shareholder in six-day bench trial involving claims under the New Jersey Oppressed Minority Shareholders Act, and for breach of contract, and breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing. (Superior Court of New Jersey, Bergen County, Chancery Division, General Equity Part)
- Miskowitz v. Union County Utilities Authority, 336 N.J. Super. 183 (App. Div. 2001).
- Muirfield Const. Co. v. Essex County Improvement Auth., 336 N.J. Super. 126 (App. Div. 2000).
- Princeton Ins. Co. v. Chunmuang, 151 N.J. 80, 60 A.L.R.5th 861 (1997).
- Princeton Ins. Co. v. 349 Associates, L.L.C., 147 N.J. 337 (1997).
- Kerr v. Able Sanitary and Environmental Services, Inc., 295 N.J. Super. 147 (App. Div. 1996)
- Communications Workers of America, AFL-CIO, Locals 1040 and 1081 v. Treffinger, 291 N.J. Super. 336 (Law Div. 1996)
- Peck v. Newark Morning Ledger Co., 344 N.J. Super. 169 (App. Div. 2001).
- In re Special Police Officers, 354 N.J. Super. 269 (App. Div. 2002).
- Mountain View Crossing Investors, LLC. v. Township of Wayne, 21 N.J. Tax 481 (App. Div. 2004)
- Rumana v. County of Passaic, 397 N.J. Super. 157 (App. Div. 2007)
- Romagnola v. Gillespie, Inc., 194 N.J. 596 (2008)
- Waste Management of New Jersey, et al. v. Morris County Municipal Utilities Authority, et al., 433 N.J. Super. 455, 80 A. 3d 1169 (App. Div. 2013)
- Kathleen A. Donovan, County Executive of Bergen County v. Bergen County Board of Chosen Freeholders, 436 N.J. Super. 91 (Law Div. 2012), aff’d, 436 N.J. Super. 1 (App. Div. 2014)
- 62-64 Main St., L.L.C. v. Mayor & Council of City of Hackensack, 221 N.J. 129 (2015)
Honors & Awards
- Certified by the New Jersey Supreme Court as a Civil Trial Attorney
- Named, in 2002, one of New Jersey’s “Top 40 Lawyers under 40” by the New Jersey Law Journal
- Presented with the Young Alumni Achievement Award in 2002 by the Peter W. Rodino, Jr. Law Society at Seton Hall University School of Law
- Listed in Super Lawyers® (2005-2015), a Thomson Reuters business, in the areas of Business Litigation and State, Local & Municipal. (No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court.)
- Listed in Best Lawyers® (2015), a Woodward/White, Inc. business and partners with U.S. News & World Report, in the areas of Commercial Litigation and Land Use & Zoning Law. (No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court.)
- Elected as a Life Fellow by the American Bar Foundation in 2017.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Chairman, New Jersey Economic Development Authority
- American Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Association of the Federal Bar of the State of New Jersey
- Trial Attorneys of New Jersey
- Life Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- New Jersey State Bar Association (Client Crisis Management and Expedited Litigation, May 2017)
- New Jersey State Bar Association (So You Want to Become a Judge, May 2017)
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance (CLM) (Proper Response Management and Cost Controls: The Do’s and Don'ts and the Growing Issues, March 2011) (Developing Issues in Asbestos and Toxic Tort Litigation, March 2011)
- Essex County Bar Association (Hot Topics in Chancery Practice, April 2002) (Practicing Before the Federal Magistrates, May 2002) (Recent Developments in Restrictive Covenant Litigation and Valuation of Close Corporations, April 2004) (Ethics in Government, June 2004) (Chancery Practice Update, March 2005) (NJ Civil Trial Preparation, March 2011)
- New Jersey State League of Municipalities (Governing with Less Yet Doing More, September 2011)
- Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey (Ethics in Government Forum, October 2004)
- Trial Attorneys of New Jersey (Back to Basics, August 1996, August 2002)
- West LegalEdcenter (Ethics and the Corporate Client, October 2010)
- New Jersey State Bar Association (Hot Topics in Chancery Practice, May 2008) (Fallout from the Sub-prime Mortgage Crisis, November 2008) (General Equity Update: The Good, the Bad and the Equity, May 2009) (Client Crisis Management and Expedited Litigation in Chancery Courts, May 2012) (Under the Tuscan Sun: How Public Entity Law Shines a Light on Public Employees, November 2013) (Aging and Its Impact on the Law, October 2014) (Keys to Injunctive Relief and Expedited Litigation, May 2015)
- New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education (ICLE) (Employment Law for General Practitioners, January 2004) (Labor Law Forum, March 2004) (When Crisis Comes Calling, December 2010, December 2011, April 2014) (Civil Trial Preparation, December 2010) (Handling and Resolving Family Business Disputes, March 2011) (Hot Tips For Hot Litigators, November 2014)
- “Special Fiscal Agents - Armed Peacekeepers," The New Jersey Law Journal, 4.1.2014
- “Asset Monetization: Is It A Thing Of The Past? Local Governments Are Reminded Of Their Duty To Be Fiscally Responsible,” The New Jersey Law Journal, 4.21.2008
- "Witness to the Process," The New Jersey Law Journal, 5.7.2007
- "Ethics of Representing Multiple Public Entities," The New Jersey Law Journal, 4.18.2005
- "New Jersey Local Government Deskbook," New Jersey Law Journal Books
Fiduciaries & Court-Appointments
Labor & Employment
Land Use, Redevelopment & Real Estate
Law Firm Defense
Municipal and Local Government
White Collar Defense and Investigations
Trusts and Estates
- State of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Seton Hall Law School (J.D. 1989)
- Fairfield University (B.S. 1985)