Nicole DeMuro concentrates her practice on representing and counseling private and public sector employers in all aspects of labor and employment law. She represents employers before state courts and administrative agencies on matters involving employment discrimination, retaliation, wrongful discharge, breach of contract, and wage and hour claims. Nicole also counsels clients on a broad spectrum of labor and employment matters, including statutory, regulatory, and policy developments, worker classification, wage and hour compliance, labor relations, reasonable accommodations, and disciplinary actions and terminations. Additionally, Nicole conducts external investigations on behalf of public and private sectors employers, including investigations relating to allegations of discrimination, harassment, conflicts of interest and other alleged violation of internal rules and procedures
Nicole joined O'Toole Scrivo after serving as Senior Counsel to Governor Chris Christie. As Senior Counsel, Nicole advised the Governor on various legal, legislative, and regulatory issues in the areas of labor and civil service law, human services, children and families, and information technology. Nicole also represented the Governor during meetings with legislators, Cabinet members, government affairs professionals and other stakeholders on these issues.
Prior to her work in the Office of the Governor, Nicole served as a deputy attorney general at the New Jersey Division of Law, Employment Counseling and Labor section. In that capacity, she acted as primary counsel, representing state agencies and colleges and universities in disputes involving contractual grievances, unfair labor practices, employment compliance, major disciplines, and wage and hour compliance.
After graduating from law school, Nicole served as a law clerk to the Honorable Jose L. Fuentes, Presiding Judge for the Superior Court, Appellate Division and then to the Honorable Mary Catherine Cuff, while she was temporarily assigned to the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
Honors & Awards
- Listed in Super Lawyers® Rising Stars (2019-2020), a Thomson Reuters business, in the area of Employment & Labor: Employer. A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolade is based can be found here. (No aspect of the advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court.)
- Awarded First Place and Runner-Up Best Oral Advocate in the 2010 Eugene Gressman Moot Court Competition
- Awarded Quarterfinalist and Best Respondent’s Brief in the 2011 Fordham University School of Law, Irving R. Kaufman Memorial Securities Law Moot Court Competition
Memberships & Affiliations
- Public Member, New Jersey Board of Dentistry
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Recent Development in New Jersey Employment Law – California Dreaming – Sexual Harassment and Beyond: Legislative Response (NJICLE) (Atlantic City, July 2019; Edison, November 2019)
- 2019 Labor and Employment Summer Institute, Update on New Jersey Employee Benefits (NJICLE) (New Brunswick, July 2019)
- New Jersey’s New Paid Sick Leave Act (NJICLE) (Webinar, February 2019)
Labor & Employment
- State of New Jersey
- State of New York
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey