TEL: (973) 239-5700 | FAX: (973) 239-3400 | email@example.com PDF | VCARD
Lawrence S. Cutalo focuses his practice on complex litigation and land use. He has extensive experience in the areas of business litigation, zoning and development, employment law, and professional liability. Mr. Cutalo has successfully represented clients before state and federal courts, as well as state administrative agencies. He routinely handles local planning and zoning board matters and related litigation. He has represented clients in closely-held business transactions. Mr. Cutalo is an experienced appellate practitioner having obtained several reported appellate decisions.
Mr. Cutalo is a Trustee of the Morris County Bar Association and serves as the Co-Chair of the Land Use Committee. He is a member of the Land Use Section and the Appellate Practice Committee of the New Jersey State Bar Association. He is also a member of the Essex County Bar Association.
Prior to joining O’Toole Scrivo, Mr. Cutalo was Of Counsel at an Am Law 200 firm. Before entering private practice, he served as a judicial clerk to the Honorable Ronald B. Graves, J.A.D., in the Superior Court of New Jersey, Appellate Division.
Mr. Cutalo graduated from the University of Virginia in 2001 with a Bachelor of Arts in Foreign Affairs. He received his Juris Doctor from Rutgers University School of Law-Newark in 2008, where he was a member of the Rutgers Environmental Law Clinic. During law school, Mr. Cutalo served as a research assistant to Professor Howard Latin and worked as a legal intern for the State of New Jersey, Department of the Public Advocate, Division of Rate Counsel.
- Innes v. Marzano-Lesnevich, 435 N.J. Super. 198 (App. Div. 2014), aff’d as modified, 224 N.J. 584 (2016)
- Garden Howe Urban Renewal Assoc., LLC v. HACBM Architects Engineers Planners, LLC, 439 N.J. Super. 446 (App. Div. 2015)
- Kathleen A. Donovan, County Executive of Bergen County v. Bergen County Board of Chosen Freeholders, 436 N.J. Super. 91 (Law Div. 2012), aff’d, 436 N.J. Super. 1 (App. Div. 2014)
- ARC Springfield LLC v. Essex County Board of Chosen Freeholders et. als. v. Village Super Market, Inc. et. als., No. ESX-L-6616-10, 2016 WL 7057500 (N.J. Super. Law Div. Dec. 1, 2016)
- Mondelli v. Berkeley Heights, No. 14-6196, 2015 U.S. Dist. Lexis 171791 (D.N.J. Dec. 21, 2015) and 2016 U.S. Dist. Lexis 125749 (D.N.J. Sept. 14, 2016)
- T.J. McDermott Trans. Co. v. Cummins, Inc., No. 14-4209, 2015 WL 1119475 (D.N.J. Mar. 11, 2015)
- State of New Jersey v. Aratow, No. A-0892-13, 2014 WL 8033318 (N.J. Super. App. Div. Mar. 5, 2015)
- Kathleen A. Donovan, County Executive of Bergen County v. Bergen County Board of Chosen Freeholders, No. A-1115-12, 2014 WL 2217907 (N.J. Super. App. Div. May 30, 2014)
- Segal Development Co. v. Borough of Roseland, No. ESX-L-5828-09, 2013 WL 4768469 (N.J. Super. Law Div. May 23, 2013)
- United States v. Campbell v. University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, No. 08-1951, 2011 WL 43013 (D.N.J. Jan. 4, 2011)
Honors & Awards
- Selected by the New Jersey Law Journal (NJLJ) as a "New Leader of the Bar” for 2017. According to NJLJ, those designated represent the future of the legal profession in New Jersey and show an impressive combination of accomplishment and promise.
- Listed in Super Lawyers® Rising Stars (2012-2016), a Thomson Reuters business, in the areas of Business Litigation and Civil Litigation: Defense. A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolade is based can be found HERE (No aspect of the advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court)
Memberships & Affiliations
- Morris County Bar Association, Trustee
- Essex County Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Hot Topics in Affordable Housing, Co-Moderator, Morris County Bar Association, December 2016
- Hot Topics In Real Estate, Panelist, Morris County Bar Association, October 2016
Labor & Employment
Land Use, Redevelopment & Real Estate
Law Firm Defense
Municipal and Local Government
White Collar Defense and Investigations
- State of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- Rutgers University School of Law (J.D. 2008)
- University of Virginia (B.A. 2001)