Mr. Van Lieu’s practice focuses upon toxic torts, products liability, environmental law, and complex litigation. He represents numerous corporate entities in the defense of complex, high value litigation in these areas. Mr. Van Lieu has been instrumental in the successful resolution of countless cases over many years consistent with client expectations and objectives.
Mr. Van Lieu currently serves as the Head of the Firm’s Toxic and Mass Tort Practice Group. In that capacity, he is responsible for the development and effectuation of diverse client strategies and defenses involving both, traditional exposures and emerging theories of liability. He has worked with high profile clients and prominent national firms serving as Coordinating Counsel to ensure impeccable trial preparation. He has devised and implemented strategic litigation planning to develop evidential support for the presentation of client messaging and has engaged in aggressive in limine practice to limit the evidence available to Plaintiffs in support of their claims. He has written and argued numerous motions before the presiding New Jersey Asbestos Judge, which has included obtaining many successful dispositive outcomes.
Mr. Van Lieu is an active member of the Asbestos Advisory Committee, which regularly meets with the Hon. Ana C. Viscomi, J.S.C. regarding the implementation of litigation-wide policies and procedures. He was previously an Associate at the law firm of Picillo Caruso O’Toole, P.C. and served as a clerk to the Honorable Sidney Reiss in the Superior Court of New Jersey, Passaic County.
- Negotiated numerous dismissals of mass tort actions for diverse clientele leveraging intricate knowledge involving an array of specific client defenses and relevant legal authority.
- Served as local counsel on trial teams for a Fortune 5oo Company in multiple trial proceedings before the Hon. Ana C. Viscomi.
- Argued critical motions in New Jersey talc litigation on diverse issues including successfully defending against the attempt by Plaintiffs to consolidate cases for trial.
- Coordinated with defense group on formulation of arguments regarding multiple docket-wide issues argued before the Appellate Division and on petition to the New Jersey Supreme Court.
- As member of the NJ Asbestos Advisory Committee, coordinated with key members of the Defense and Plaintiffs Bars as well as the Hon. Ana C. Viscomi, J.S.C. and Special Master Agatha Dzikiewicz to effectuate amendments to the Middlesex County Asbestos Litigation General Order.
- Leveraged jurisdictional knowledge and expertise to negotiate numerous resolutions for diverse clientele at settlement values far below historical demands.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Member, Council on Litigation Management (CLM)