Sara Tomanio concentrates her practice in a variety of areas including general liability defense and construction defect matters. Prior to law school, Ms. Tomanio enjoyed a 16-year career as a registered nurse in the metropolitan area, practicing in such areas as emergency and intensive care, as well as multiple specialty areas in the in-patient and outpatient setting. She was a head nurse in an admission unit of a long-term care facility and held various committee positions related to risk management, staffing and infection control in multiple, large Level I trauma facilities. She has taught paramedics and emergency medical technicians and has also served as a committee member implementing the rotation of paramedics through an emergency department setting.
Before joining O'Toole Scrivo, she was an associate with Bartlett LLP, where she defended institutions and professionals in medical malpractice claims and also claims involving premise liability and MVA no fault. She has worked extensively with experts including medical experts, as well as biomechanical and accident reconstruction experts in assessing damages and matching damages to the alleged claims. Her medical knowledge combined with her ability to assess damages and work with experts has enabled her to obtain successful dismissals in several New York venues.
During law school, she was in extern in the Office of the Attorney General of Michigan, where she served as the principle extern for the lead assistant associate attorney general in the Department of Corrections and researched and defended constitutional law claims filed by inmates. Her research involved the analysis and synthesis of complex medical records across multiple institutions.
Memberships & Affiliations
- New York State Bar Association
- New York County Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association of Critical Care Nurses
Insurance & Reinsurance
- State of New York
- U.S. District Court, S.D.N.Y.
- U.S. District Court, E.D.N.Y.
- Western Connecticut State (B.A. in Nursing, 1988)
- Post University (B.S. in Criminal Justice and Legal Studies, magna cum laude, 2008)
- Western Michigan University, Thomas Cooley Law School (J.D. 2012)
- Western Michigan University, Thomas Cooley Law School (L.L.M. in Intellectual Property, magna cum laude, 2014)